Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Yellow Trumpets 2

                                                           SOLD
After buying ($5) and studying artist Carol Marine's Artbyte, Value is Essential, I decided to give one of my paintings a make-over.  As Carol explains so clearly in this little tutorial, the ratio of darks to mids to lights is an important element in the success or failure of a painting. Armed with this information, I was able to "see" what was wrong with the original painting (below) -  too much middle-range value and, therefore, a rather uninteresting painting. When I painted the first one, I was very happy with the execution of the daffodils and glass, but still thought the piece fell short somehow, and I wasn't sure why. I think the new version is soooo much better, and as Carol states in her tutorial, we can be in charge of the values... and as I found out, at least for this painting, it wasn't too late for a value make-over!

1 comment:

  1. this is a beautiful painting. you fix is perfect! the warm cool contrast works really nicely to jazz up the flowers.

    ReplyDelete