Sunday, November 6, 2011

In Full Color

                          
                               Click Here to See All My Available Work

   This is my most recent private commission. It was an interesting assignment, in that the woman who commissioned the painting, wanted me to work from a black and white photograph of her children when they were younger. So, in effect, this was a value study. To aid in my color selection, she supplied me with fabric swatches from the room in which it will hang. Every time I am working on a painting and something just doesn't look right, nine out of ten times it is a problem with value. I actually think that working from a black and white photograph this time helped me to stay true to the value more easily than when working from a colored photo or from life.

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting piece. I think you nailed the values Maryann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Great job in every way. The colors are incredible. I can't say enough! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were working from a wonderful photo and you did it more than justice. A really strong and lovely piece.
    It will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I'm sure your client is thrilled..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've completed a wonderful painting, and I'm thinking I'd have a real problem converting that black and white photo to such a strong yet soft and subtle painting in color!

    ReplyDelete